Skip to main content

PCB Plotter a.k.a. Direct Ink To PCB

The simples method to manufacturing PCBs at home is the toner trasfer method.But the laser printer is the most important a part of this technic and the laser printer is expensive stuff for only printing some PCB / month.

The cheapest method to manufacturing PCBs at home is using alcoholic pen and drawing the traces with your own hands . But our hands resolution or the precision is not enough in most case.
The PCB plotter machine with CNC controlling are the solution of this problem.
I spend my last weeks to build this PCB plotter machine from 2 CDROM driver and a floppy driver.

The parameters:


  • 38mm*38mm Workspace (enough in most case)
  • 0.0735 mm / steep (in halfsteeping mode)

Parts that is used:

  • As I said  : 2 CDROM and 1 Floppy driver
  • 3 * L293 Dual Full Bridge Motor Driver IC
  • Power supply of course
  • ATMEGA88 and USB2Serial bridge
  • Some wires and pin headers
The full cost is about 15$!!

The manufacturing flow


I using Eagle Cad for design the circuits and of course I using GERBER_RS274X format for CAM processing.
I wrote a small python script for communicating with the plotter driver (atmega88).This little script is converting inch metrics to stepper motor step format and sending this values over serial port.

The plotter itself and the driver on the left side






On the next video I show the machine in action.(I had some issue with the autofocus.Sorry.)
Drawint the traces.

Boxing




I get an old VPN824 router box and put it all together.The PCBs that you can see on the second picture was made by this machineYou can see the serial port header and the indicator LED on the front of the box.
Ready to work.

Inside the box:Controller board ,Motor driver board and Power supply
More pictures HERE.

You can find the sources on my GITHUB.



Comments

  1. Hi, any chance of increasing the work area , or use different stepper motors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    This is build out of thing which is laying around my house, so if you want to build one with a bigger working area, this is not your way :)
    Get a 3d printer. You can plot with it :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Journey with AllWinner A31 SoC a.k.a. born to die

!!!Allwinner A31!!! Quad-Core 64 Bit ultra cheap SoC for everyone!! Yeah sound good...but the truth are awful is some case . First of all do you know about the Banana Pi M2?The Banana Pi M1 (A20) was the killer of the first generation Raspberry pi . After the second generation Rpi was released the Bpi m2 was released too . But where is it ? The Bpi m2 was a huge fail (M3 was changed the M2 very soon) . Nobody care about the A31 SoC linux support . No community,no projects,hack or any interesting thing about this mini ARM board. And what about the android support? Little bit better but not in all case. My new target is a A31 SoC based tablet with nice screen and big battery . But something wrong because I can't turn on.And my journey started here. I took it apart and try to locating the wrong parts.I started on the power rails : Sorted Main Board WorkBench  APX221 is a dedicated Power Management Unit for A31 SoC. You can find a lot of informations  on sunxi linux...

Fixing cracked solder balls under a BGA package

I got another pack of failed Xbox One controllers. Most of them had classic problems like broken LT frames,(which by the way I could not find anywhere) broken analog sticks and broken internal board-to-board connectors. I noticed that one of these controllers was the strangest of all. Everything working fine with this controller except the LT and the Y axis of the left analog stick. I walked through my regular troubleshooting process and I didn't find anything unusual wrong. It discovered later that was a cracked solder ball under the main controller chip. The crack was probably caused by a strong external force like a drop or a bend. As I continued repairing this poor gizmo, I realized if I pushed the IC to the board with my finger I get the right values on my tester and everything seems to work as it should. This ment that the cracked balls maybe fixable by a reflow so I reflowed the chip but it did not worked. I wanted to try to fix it by doing a reball, but I don't have p...