Skip to main content

JBC AD2950 Display Backlight Mod

I really like my JBC soldering station, perfect and robous tool. I usually just put the handpiece back to its holder, and after a few minute the station will activate the hibernation mode (no heating).
This is a great feature because you don't have to turn on and off the station, but sometimes, for example when your 2 years old daughter start exploring your lab this can be dangerous. If you let the iron in hibernation mode, it is start heating very quickly (5 sec. from room temp.) as soon as you pull the handpiece out of its holder. Fortunately, my daughter dropped down the handpiece in time, and she don't get burned, but this was a terrible mistake as a dad because things could be happen much worse than in my case.
The problem is when the soldering station is turned on, you don't get enough visual notification about it. The display are saying "hibernation" of course, but if you tired or you are in hurry, you probably miss it, and you will forget to turn it off.

My solution for this problem was the illuminated display. It is clearly visible and  noticeable when the soldering station is running.
I grab one of my broken smartphone LCD backlight system, and it is perfectly served my idea.
I tried one of my classic 16X2 LCD display backlight system, but it was too fat and I can not make it fit because there was not too much gap between the station case the display and the PCB itself. So i had to used only backlight panel, not the whole module.
I cropped the LED string too, so the backlight was powered by 4 LEDs.
The whole system powered by an 8.8V source with a current limiting resistor.

Finished backlight

Guest board with current limiting resistor
Backlight powered from internal power rail



LCD, Lcd holder, backlight with 4 led, polarization foil

Removed display

Desoldering the LCD

Comments

  1. Hello,can you help me? what is the rating of the Schottky diode set at the input?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Вася Пупкин,

      I sent all the photos I have. The diode that you looking for has a CBN marking on it. Based on my research, this is a TVS Diode.
      Product family datasheet:
      https://www.st.com/resource/en/datasheet/smbj.pdf
      More specificly it is the SMBJ36CA .
      Mouser product page:
      https://hu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/SMBJ36CA-TR?qs=%2Fha2pyFaduiE5mJIuxugaMzESqoTyl%2FmeNpmP%252Bx7CBY%3D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PCB Plotter a.k.a. Direct Ink To PCB

The simples method to manufacturing PCBs at home is the toner trasfer method.But the laser printer is the most important a part of this technic and the laser printer is expensive stuff for only printing some PCB / month. The cheapest method to manufacturing PCBs at home is using alcoholic pen and drawing the traces with your own hands . But our hands resolution or the precision is not enough in most case. The PCB plotter machine with CNC controlling are the solution of this problem. I spend my last weeks to build this PCB plotter machine from 2 CDROM driver and a floppy driver. The parameters: 38mm*38mm Workspace (enough in most case) 0.0735 mm / steep (in halfsteeping mode) Parts that is used: As I said  : 2 CDROM and 1 Floppy driver 3 * L293 Dual Full Bridge Motor Driver IC Power supply of course ATMEGA88 and USB2Serial bridge Some wires and pin headers The full cost is about 15$!! The manufacturing flow I using Eagle Cad for design the circuits and o

Razer GreenSwich issue in BlackWidow keyboard

Recently, I got a used Razer BLACKWIDOW Ultimate 2014 mechanical keyboard with the fancy Razer greenswitches inside. The keyboard looks awesome and I really like the illuminated keys too. I'm not a person who likes the lound, clicking sounds that this switches are make when you press them down but I decided to give it a try. Sadly, the smile in my face went away as soon as I plugged the keyboard in and started typing on it. Every second or third character was doubled or missed on the screen of my computer. Something was wrong for sure with the keys, this issue is called scattering by the way. Actually I know that before I bought the keyboard and this is why I was bought it. There was nothing left, time to investigate the source of this issue. After a few phillips head screws I got inside the keyboard, and I desoldered some of the failed switches. The switch itself was easily disassemblable, 2 securing on each side. The problem was obvious after I looked inside the switch, corrod