Skip to main content

Intel Atom and BIOS updates

Probably you allready hear about intel low power system on chips like intel z37XX and Z8XXX family.Powerfull little beast with Android or/and Windows on top of it. I have some device powered with z3537F Soc and I like it.And here come CHINA and poor software engineering.I upgraded my operating system and my BIOS was corrupted! What a blame!
So no image no blinking led nothing just black screen.
What can you do? Reading chinese forums to bring back your BIOS from usb OR flashing the right BIOS back to your flashchip. You know what this is mean :D ... Turn on your iron!
MeegoPad T02
Flash chip sitting and waiting for flahing on the right bottom side.This is an 8Mbyte super fast SPI flash memory and it is supported by the FlahRom utility. I desoldered the chip because I dont know it is inSystemProgramabel or not.It is requred 1.8V logic levels so I can't hook up to bananaPi direcly.
And as I said I used my Bpi to flashing the chip but any SPI capable programer can handle the job.Next I found the correct firmware to my device so nothing more just flashing it and putting back to the board.

I used an adapter called "uSD card adapter for Arduino" logic level converter to get the right signals on both ends.This can handle the Bpi 3v3 and 1v8 for flash.I slowed down the SPI clock on my Bpi because I used breadboard for wiring and I think 10Mhz is not for breadboards at all.I used 500Khz as I remember and working fine (little bit slow but stable).
The programing adapter:


This voltage level converten is one way only, but luckily my Bpi recognise 1.8v as logic "1".

I get a fully working strick again in the end of the day exept one little think, I was too lazy to create a backup of the flash chip.So I lost my Windows license key :(
After a while I found this screenshot on 4pda:
This is where your key is
I promise I take more picture new time :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Journey with AllWinner A31 SoC a.k.a. born to die

!!!Allwinner A31!!! Quad-Core 64 Bit ultra cheap SoC for everyone!! Yeah sound good...but the truth are awful is some case . First of all do you know about the Banana Pi M2?The Banana Pi M1 (A20) was the killer of the first generation Raspberry pi . After the second generation Rpi was released the Bpi m2 was released too . But where is it ? The Bpi m2 was a huge fail (M3 was changed the M2 very soon) . Nobody care about the A31 SoC linux support . No community,no projects,hack or any interesting thing about this mini ARM board. And what about the android support? Little bit better but not in all case. My new target is a A31 SoC based tablet with nice screen and big battery . But something wrong because I can't turn on.And my journey started here. I took it apart and try to locating the wrong parts.I started on the power rails : Sorted Main Board WorkBench  APX221 is a dedicated Power Management Unit for A31 SoC. You can find a lot of informations  on sunxi linux...

PCB Plotter a.k.a. Direct Ink To PCB

The simples method to manufacturing PCBs at home is the toner trasfer method.But the laser printer is the most important a part of this technic and the laser printer is expensive stuff for only printing some PCB / month. The cheapest method to manufacturing PCBs at home is using alcoholic pen and drawing the traces with your own hands . But our hands resolution or the precision is not enough in most case. The PCB plotter machine with CNC controlling are the solution of this problem. I spend my last weeks to build this PCB plotter machine from 2 CDROM driver and a floppy driver. The parameters: 38mm*38mm Workspace (enough in most case) 0.0735 mm / steep (in halfsteeping mode) Parts that is used: As I said  : 2 CDROM and 1 Floppy driver 3 * L293 Dual Full Bridge Motor Driver IC Power supply of course ATMEGA88 and USB2Serial bridge Some wires and pin headers The full cost is about 15$!! The manufacturing flow I using Eagle Cad for design the circuits a...

Fixing cracked solder balls under a BGA package

I got another pack of failed Xbox One controllers. Most of them had classic problems like broken LT frames,(which by the way I could not find anywhere) broken analog sticks and broken internal board-to-board connectors. I noticed that one of these controllers was the strangest of all. Everything working fine with this controller except the LT and the Y axis of the left analog stick. I walked through my regular troubleshooting process and I didn't find anything unusual wrong. It discovered later that was a cracked solder ball under the main controller chip. The crack was probably caused by a strong external force like a drop or a bend. As I continued repairing this poor gizmo, I realized if I pushed the IC to the board with my finger I get the right values on my tester and everything seems to work as it should. This ment that the cracked balls maybe fixable by a reflow so I reflowed the chip but it did not worked. I wanted to try to fix it by doing a reball, but I don't have p...